What's the Difference between Illuminate HTML and Collective HTML ?

Published 2 years ago by vincej

I'm moving my code over to L5 and I understand well that the core L% no longer contains HTML or Form building classes.

So I installed "laravelcollective/html": "~5.0"

However now looking at Jeffrey's lesson on creating forms in L5 fundamentals he is installing illuminate/html

So - bit confused now .... is it just a name change or what ?

What should I really be using ???

Many thanks !

HRcc
HRcc
2 years ago (93,170 XP)

If I'm not mistaken, illuminate/html is no longer maintained and laravelcollective took over this as well as annotations and ssh.

That's why you should use laravelcollective/html.

bashy
bashy
2 years ago (1,087,290 XP)

Yeah, I also wanted to know how official the Laravel Collective stuff is. I don't want to switch then it go offline.

Ruffles
Ruffles
2 years ago (281,210 XP)

We maintain Laravel components that have been removed from the core framework, so you can continue to use the amazing Laravel features that you love.

Laravel Collective

A few weeks ago, the community took over to maintain some of the components which were removed from the core framework.

You can learn more about it here at Laravel News

bashy
bashy
2 years ago (1,087,290 XP)

So it's not offical but maintained by the community. Okay, what I thought, thanks :)

bobbybouwmann

So @bashy are not going to use it then. Can you share your thought on that? :D

bashy
bashy
2 years ago (1,087,290 XP)

@blackbird Well I haven't switched it yet but probably will, why?

bobbybouwmann

Because you might be afraid that it could go offline! I did switch and seriously nothing changed :P

bashy
bashy
2 years ago (1,087,290 XP)

Well yes it could but just wondering what they could possibly update to the package? Is the Illuminate one going offline at some point?

bobbybouwmann

As far as I know it's not going offline

vincej
vincej
2 years ago (38,270 XP)

so the conclusion is that I should use collective ?

bashy
bashy
2 years ago (1,087,290 XP)

@vincej Use what you want :) collective one seems like it's being actively developed so...

alenabdula

Just pick one and roll with it. It's just a simple HTML package. How much different can they really be.

JeffreyWay

I'm curious if there is that much to develop with that package? I've used the basic illuminate/html for a while now, and have never found myself wishing for bug fixes or new features...

vincej
vincej
2 years ago (38,270 XP)

sure understood, as I am learning L5 I don't know one end from the other and wanted to get it right.

I have discovered following your lesson on forms that the illuminate syntax works in Collective, however the Collective docs recommend an alternative syntax.

alenabdula

however the Collective docs recommend an alternative syntax.

@vincej i don't see a different syntax?