sh: composer: command not found

Published 2 years ago by Nicoeg

I know that there are a million threads on this problem, and at this point I believe I've tried every single one.

The problem happens whenever I call the Laravel installer: laravel new app.

When I call composer create-project --prefer-dist laravel/laravel app everything works fine.

I'm using zsh and my path looks like this: export PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:$HOME/.composer/vendor/bin:$PATH".

What could possibly be the reason for this not working?

Best Answer (As Selected By Nicoeg)
zfi

It appears that using an alias for composer is not the right thing to do. I removed the alias and then renamed /usr/local/bin/composer.phar to /usr/local/bin/composer. Now running 'laravel new blog' runs without any errors. The new site has a .env file and a defined site key.

bashy
bashy
2 years ago (1,002,650 XP)

Show us this and we can go from there;

type composer
Nicoeg
Nicoeg
2 years ago (29,750 XP)

composer is /usr/local/bin/composer

bashy
bashy
2 years ago (1,002,650 XP)

Okay. I would remove $HOME/.composer/vendor/bin and test

Nicoeg
Nicoeg
2 years ago (29,750 XP)

Just tried it without success.

ejdelmonico

In your .zshrc, it should be /Users/your-home-name/.composer/vendor/bin Writing it that way works for my installation. I had a similar issue with using the $HOME variable.

bashy
bashy
2 years ago (1,002,650 XP)

@ejdelmonico You can test that by doing this in shell;

echo $HOME
Nicoeg
Nicoeg
2 years ago (29,750 XP)

@ejdelmonico Didn't work for me.. echo $HOME returns /Users/nicolaj

zfi
zfi
1 year ago (7,090 XP)

If I may bump this issue, I have encountered the same set of circumstances.

I have a fresh installation of macOS 10.12.2; Installed both laravel/installer and laravel/valet. The composer.phar is installed in the /usr/local/bin/directory. I have created an alias to run composer.

composer is aliased to `php /usr/local/bin/composer.phar'

Running

laravel new blog

generates this response

Crafting application...
sh: composer: command not found
Application ready! Build something amazing.

The site does not run. In order to get the site to work, I had to run these additional steps:

cd blog
composer install —no-scripts
cp .env.example .env
php artisan key:generate

If I create the site using composer, the site works as expected.

composer create-project --prefer-dist laravel/laravel blog

I am fairly certain that the error from composer: command not found is where .env file is created and keyed. It is also where the dependancies are installed. Does anyone have thoughts on where to begin to troubleshoot this?

zfi
zfi
1 year ago (7,090 XP)

brkaydn

Thank you zfi! But you can use the alias after renaming /usr/local/bin/composer.phar to /usr/local/bin/composer. Edit your alias with alias composer="php /usr/local/bin/composer"

T0ny

Thanks zfi and brkaydn I ran exactly into the same issue today on my Mac OSx (10.13.1) Here is my solution that might help another one:

mv /usr/local/bin/composer.phar /usr/local/bin/composer

Then update the alias in the ~/.bash_profile from

alias composer="php /usr/local/bin/composer.phar" to: alias composer="php /usr/local/bin/composer"

Thanks guys

mariohbrino

I did install composer in my macOS 10.13.6 and follow the instructions you guys give, but I still don't have access to composer when I use alias without file composer.phar.

Please, can someone help? Thanks.

• [x] Install composer
  • [x] Move composer to /usr/local/bin/composer
  • [x] Add alias into ~/.bash_profile
  • [x] Test commands
# Install
php -r "copy('https://getcomposer.org/installer', 'composer-setup.php');"
php -r "if (hash_file('SHA384', 'composer-setup.php') === '544e09ee996cdf60ece3804abc52599c22b1f40f4323403c44d44fdfdd586475ca9813a858088ffbc1f233e9b180f061') { echo 'Installer verified'; } else { echo 'Installer corrupt'; unlink('composer-setup.php'); } echo PHP_EOL;"
php composer-setup.php
php -r "unlink('composer-setup.php');"
# Move
mv composer.phar /usr/local/bin/composer

Add alias with file composer.phar into ~/.bash_profile

alias composer="php /usr/local/bin/composer/composer.phar"

Running

composer --version

generates this response

Composer version 1.7.2 2018-08-16 16:57:12

Running

laravel new project-name

generates this response

Crafting application...
sh: composer: command not found
Application ready! Build something amazing.

Change alias without file composer.phar into ~/.bash_profile

alias composer="php /usr/local/bin/composer"

Running

imac server $ composer --version

generates this response, no action

imac server $

Running

imac server $ cd project-name
imac server $ composer install

generates this response, this don't install any dependencies

imac server $
mariohbrino

I was been install the composer as /usr/local/bin/composer/composer.phar when I should to install /usr/local/bin/composer that's why the alias did not work.

Install and setup composer into /usr/local/bin with name composer

php composer-setup.php --install-dir=/usr/local/bin --filename=composer