Looking at best practice for how to construct and maintain many through many relationships

Published 1 month ago by allw

Good Afternoon,

I am a teacher constructing a site for tracking test results, but cannot get my head around the relationships.

I am envisioning a schema that has students these have many results and a test also has many results. Therefore students should have many tests through many results?

Additionally students will have many classes so there is a group_student pivot table.

How would I call principally all student results for a test where group = foobar?

Is there not an easy way to construct multiple nested relationships in laravel or is this unnecessary and I should just be retrieving each set in turn.

I have made a provisional "map" on laravelsd available:

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

Best Answer (As Selected By allw)
nikos

if you pass parameter to whereHas() like I did above your not only querying existence but existence of relation with additional query that you've passed so i would get results like this:

Result::whereHas('students', function($query) use ($groupId) {
    $query->join('group_student', 'group_student.student_id', '=', 'students.id')
             ->where('group_student.group_id', $groupId);
}):

I think that you can't use whereHas() in callback of whereHas(), so i used join for second relation....

nikos
nikos
1 month ago (6,420 XP)

Why wouldn't result table contain both user_id and test_id? It would been easier then, right ?

allw
allw
1 month ago (4,950 XP)

Oh yeah never thought of that? So then would I be able to just call Groups hasmany results through Students?

allw
allw
1 month ago (4,950 XP)

wait hangon the Student_UPN is the student_id... just named according to local nomenclature

nikos
nikos
1 month ago (6,420 XP)

Yep :)

allw
allw
1 month ago (4,950 XP)

I think the issue is that group is many to many to student but I don't know how to call group has many results through pivot with students

nikos
nikos
1 month ago (6,420 XP)

Like this maybe:

User::whereHas('group', function($query) use ($groupId) {
$query->where('id', $groupId);
});

Here is the docs https://laravel.com/docs/5.5/eloquent-relationships#querying-relationship-existence

nikos
nikos
4 weeks ago (6,420 XP)

Or you can use $groupName instead of the $groupId

allw
allw
4 weeks ago (4,950 XP)

but it is setup like this;

groups-(hasmany)<group_student>(hasmany)-students-(hasmany)<_results>(belongstomany)-tests

So just querying the existence is not going to help because there will always be students with a group because they will always be in multiple groups.

nikos
nikos
4 weeks ago (6,420 XP)

Result::whereHas('students', function($query) use ($groupId) {
    $query->join('group_student', 'group_student.student_id', '=', 'students.id')
             ->where('group_student.group_id', $groupId);
}):

allw
allw
3 weeks ago (4,950 XP)

been tinkering with what you gave me and I've come up with:

$response = Student::whereHas('groups', function ($query) use ($group_id){
      $query->where('group_id', $group_id);
    })->leftjoin('results', function ($join) use ($test_id) {
      $join->on('students.id', '=', 'results.student_id')
           ->where('test_id', $test_id);
    })->orderBy('last_name', 'asc')->get();

Only issue is that the students.id is overwritten by results.student_id, this can't happen because when sending the corrected results back to the database I'll need to rely on both student.id for some things and result.id for others...

any ideas?